January 2023

Your committee has been working away on your behalf. Your response to requests of email addresses has been very good although we still have a fair number of empty spaces in the database.

The main issue facing us at present is RTÉs demand that the pensioners should carry the administration costs of the scheme. This could cost in excess of €40 million. This application was refused by Government, not least because of the very coherent opposition from your Committee. Despite this refusal, RTÉ are now launching a second attack on our funds and have appealed the decision.

Chairperson Stephanie Fitzpatrick has written to the new Chair of the RTE Board, Siún ni Raghallaigh, setting out our views in this matter.In show, RTÉ is demanding that we provide a subsidy to help them through their current financial difficulties. RTÉ does not own the Superannuation Fund.

In more general terms, may we take this opportunity to ask you about improvements you would like to see to this website. rtersa2018@admin

RTERSA Committee Meeting


date: Monday 9 January 2023

time: 11:00am

venue: The Talbot Hotel, Stillorgan

present: Siobhán Carew, Mairéad de Buitléir, Stephanie Fitzpatrick, Joe Harris, Keith Hyland and Tony O’Connor

1. Apologies for absence

Apologies for absence were received from Carole Corrigan, Phil Healy and Malachi Lawless.

2. Minutes

Minutes of the meeting held on 14 November 2022 were approved.

3. Matters arising

There were no matters arising.

4. Chairs’ report

Regarding admin costs, Stephanie reported that she had sent a letter to Siún Ní Raghallaigh, and to the entire Board. She had not received a reply to the original letter to Moya Doherty about admin costs.

Stephanie’s understanding is that RTÉ will appeal the decision on taking admin costs out of the Superannuation Fund.

There was a great response to a request for updated membership contact details. This request was sent out to members through the RTESA. Many of them, possibly twenty/thirty percent of those who responded, are new members.

There has also been a positive response to the request for members to send a letter to their politicians to raise support for the Industrial Relations Industrial Relations (Provisions in Respect of Pension Entitlements of Retired Workers) Bill 2021.

Six percent over 2 years has been offered in the RTÉ/TUG claim. This has been accepted by staff.

The meeting with RTÉ Trustees hasn’t been confirmed yet, though Stephanie’s understanding is that we will be invited to a meeting. Stephanie intends to ask them how they see the future of the pension scheme.

Tony and Keith are to work on updating the RTÉRSA website.

5. Treasurer’s report

Carole advised that the Post Office directed us to the State Savings Bank (SSB), where deposits are covered 100%, no matter what sum. The signatories on the account should be the same as with the AIB bank. Stephanie and Tony will go the AIB Dundrum with the form signed by all signatories (Stephanie, Tony, Carole and Siobhán).

The RTÉ Credit Union wants us to remove our funds over a certain amount. They will be transferred to the SSB.

6. Issues update

a. Admin costs – update – letter to new RTÉ Chair

Stephanie will send a letter to Siún Ní Raghallaigh, new chair of the RTÉ Board, and repeat the contents of her letter to Ms Moya Doherty of June 2022.

Members of the new RTÉ board are:

Siún Ní Raghallaigh, Ian Kehoe, Aideen Howard, Dee Forbes, Dr P J Matthews, Anne O’Leary, Robert Shortt, Connor Murphy, Susan Ahern, Daire Hickey, David Harvey and Jonathan Ruane.

b. Letters to politicians update

Stephanie will be in touch with Sue Shaw. The bill will be discussed in the Dáil before March 17th.

c. RTÉ/RTÉ TUG – IRT claim


d. Meeting with Trustees

The meeting with RTÉ Trustees hasn’t been confirmed yet, though Stephanie’s understanding is that we will be invited to a meeting. Stephanie intends to ask them how they see the future of the pension scheme.

The future of the Scheme will be discussed in light of the new IORP. Are we affected? What are their views going forward? She will ask about the investment policy, and raise the issue of a pension increase, and how this will be paid out.

e. Website update

Tony and Keith will meet shortly to work on the new website.

Stephanie suggested the committee brainstorm via email.

7. Future strategy

Stephanie will report on this after her meeting with the Trustees.

8. Any other business

This year’s AGM will be held on 26 September 2023.

9. Date of next meeting

The next meeting will take place at 11:00am on Monday 6 March 2023, at the Talbot Hotel.